Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Diabetes Song

Ok.. it's not really about diabetes.. or is it? "No Sugar Tonight" by The Guess Who.
My husband and I were going on a road-trip to visit family two hours from where we live, and this song came on. Bored, and being the analytical people we can be sometimes, we thought it was funny, and hope you do also (diabetes is not funny, however..) . Hmm.. This is just one of my personal ridiculous ponderments:

Here's the first bit of lyrics:

Lonely feelin' deep inside
Find a corner where I can hide
Silent footsteps crowdin' me
Sudden darkness, but I can see


Ok, so the guy just found out he was diabetic, he's feeling lonely, hiding in a corner because he doesn't want to come to grips with his disease. Silent footsteps, most diabetics suffer from bad-circulation, and go numb in the feet, and some don't take care of their feet and have to get amputated. Sudden darkness, blindness can be a side-effect of diabetes, if you don't watch your sugar intake, blood sugar levels, don't do the insulin injections, etc.

The chorus:
No sugar tonight in my coffee
No sugar tonight in my tea
No sugar to stand beside me
No sugar to run with me


Pretty self-explanatory. The dude can't have sugar anymore.

More lyrics:

Jocko says yes and I believe him
When we talk about the things I say
She hasn't got the faith or the guts to leave him
When they're standin' in each other's way
You're driven back now to places you've been to
You're wonderin' what you're gonna find
You know you've been wrong but it won't be long
Before you leave 'em all far behind


Perhaps he is looking back wondering how he got diabetes, talking to his doctor "Jocko" ROFL. Leaving your old ways behind, to adapt to a sugar-free lifestyle, as the diabetes is 'in his way' of moving forward in life if he doesn't adapt.


'Cause it's the new Mother Nature takin' over
It's the new splendid lady come to call
It's the new Mother Nature takin' over
She's gettin' us all
She's gettin' us all


How odd that we now have "Splenda".. a sugar-replacing sweetner. The "New Mother Nature" a synthetic replacement for sugar?


Jocko said no when I came back last time
It's lookin' like I lost a friend
No use callin' 'cause the sky is fallin'
And I'm gettin' pretty near the end
A smoke-filled room in a corner basement
The situation must be right
A bag o' goodies and a bottle o' wine
We're gonna get it on right tonight


His Doctor, "Jocko", said no, meaning all signs still point to diabetes. Loosing a friend, i.e. loosing his "sugar privledges". Getting near the end: He can't take it any more.. gotta have some treats! The bag of goodies and wine must refer to a large bag of candy, maybe some insulin-filled syringes, hiding in the basement, and snackin' on the candy.

Berta "I want some chocolate now" McBloggydoo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider this: EVERY song the Guess Who performed has a secret disease message.

"American Woman stay away from me...American Woman, momma let me be..." Obviously he's picked up an STD from some chic...and the "momma" part really scares me.

See what you can do with the song "Laughing." Jer

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home